It is important to remember that yeast is throughout our bodies, but maintaining a balance between the yeast and the healthy bacteria is essential.
Common signs of thrush:
- Sharp stabbing pains in the breast – this can happen while feeding or after
- Shiny nipple/ areola area
- Flaky nipple / areola area
- Baby – white patches in its mouth on tongue or gums
- Nappy rash may be simply red or red with raised dots
Note – most babies have a milk coated tongue this is not a sign of thrush unless the white patches spread to gums or cheeks.
- After feeding wash nipples with clean water - no soap
- Sunlight kills yeast, exposing your nipples to sunlight for several minutes, several times a day
- Dry bras in sunlight
- Wash bras in very hot water & change daily. Change breast pads after each feed
- Garlic, Garlic, Garlic! Use it in your cooking and or take garlic supplemen
- Wash nipples with solution of 1 tablespoon of vinegar mixed with 250mls of water. Warning it may sting if skin is broken.
- Probiotics – my favourite is Metagenics – they are practitioner only so available at chiropractors, natropaths etc. not available at health food shops. Take 6 x dose for 4 days, then decrease to 3x dose for 5 days then double dose for 7 days.
- Limit sugar in your diet. No refined sugars or artificial sweeteners. Limit fruit and complex carbohydrates like bread for one week.
- Yoghurt – acidophilus yogurt with no added sugar, eat plenty of this as it contains good bacteria.
Starting Out | Blocked Milk Duct | Engorgement | Mastitis
Storing Breast Milk | Lactation Cookies